Workshop on Trade and Investment20 March, 10:00—16:30 — WTO, Room W
The MIKTA Workshop on Trade and Investment brought together experts from WTO members, relevant international organizations and institutions, business and other non-government stakeholders to exchange views on the link between trade, investment and development, recent developments in trade and investment facilitation, and the role of the WTO.
MIKTA is an innovative partnership aimed at advancing the common interests of the international community. In the WTO context, MIKTA seeks to facilitate open discussions among WTO Members by arranging opportunities to enhance information-sharing and exchanges on issues relevant to international trade.
Arrival / Registration / Coffee
Session 1 10:15 — 11:15
Trade and Investment: Why the WTO?
Moderator: Ambassador Choi Kyonglim, Permanent Representative of Korea to the WTO
- Hamid Mamdouh, Director, Services and Investment Division, WTO
Highlighting the relevance of WTO disciplines for FDI
- Miguel Rodriguez Mendoza, Senior Fellow, ICTSD; Co-Convener E15 Initiative
Promoting synergies between trade and investment policies for facilitating investment
- Ambassador Walter Werner, Permanent Representative of Germany to the WTO
Investment, the G20 and the WTO
The panel discussion will be followed by a question and answer session. Workshop participants are invited to comment on trade and investment and the role of the WTO.
Session 2 11:15 — 12:30
Recent Developments in Trade and Investment
Moderator: Ambassador Roberto Zapata, Permanent Representative of Mexico to the WTO
- Pierre Sauvé, Senior Trade Specialist, Trade and Competitiveness, World Bank Group
Trends in world trade and investment flows
- Lise Johnson, Head, Investment Law and Policy, Colombia Centre on Sustainable Investment
Trade, investment and sustainable development
- Stormy-Annika Mildner, B20 Sherpa; Head, External Economic Policy Department, Federation of German Industries
Identifying trade and investment opportunities and challenges – a business perspective
- Ambassador Gennady Ovechko, Permanent Representative of Russia to the WTO
Building on investment-related WTO elements
The panel discussion will be followed by a question and answer session. Workshop participants are invited to share their experience with trade, investment and development.
12:30 — 14:00 Lunch Break
Session 3 14:00 — 15:30
Trade and Investment Facilitation for Development
Moderator: Ambassador Kemal Madenoglu, Permanent Representative of Turkey to the WTO
- Elisabeth Tuerk, Chief, International Investment Agreements Section, Division on Investment and Enterprise, UNCTAD
Maximizing opportunities and addressing challenges through investment facilitation
- Ana Novik, Head, Investment Division, OECD
Identifying latest trends in investment facilitation
- Marion Janson, Chief Economist, International Trade Centre
Facilitating trade and investment together by identifying value chain options
- Mr Ahmad Irfan Aslam, Additional Attorney General, Pakistan
The panel discussion will be followed by a question and answer session. Workshop participants are invited to comment on approaches to facilitating trade and investment.
Wrap-up 15:30 — 16:15
Wrap-up Session: What to do next?
Moderator: Sean Doherty, Head, International Trade & Investment, World Economic Forum
- Ambassador Roberto Zapata, Permanent Representative of Mexico to the WTO
- Ambassador Sondang Anggraini, Deputy Permanent Representative of Indonesia to the WTO
- Ambassador Choi Kyonglim, Permanent Representative of Korea to the WTO
- Ambassador Kemal Madenoglu, Permanent Representative of Turkey to the WTO
- Ambassador Frances Lisson, Permanent Representative of Australia to the WTO
MIKTA Ambassadors will briefly present their ideas on possible next steps, especially on the role of WTO in investment discussions, followed by free discussion with workshop participants.
16:15 — 16:30 Closing Remarks
> Problems viewing this page?
Please contact email@example.com giving details of the operating system and web browser you are using.