WORK WITH OTHER INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATIONS
The WTO and World Bank
Globalization has increased the need for closer cooperation between the multilateral institutions with key roles in the formulation and implementation of different elements of the framework for global economic policy, in particular the International Monetary Fund (IMF), the World Bank and the World Trade Organization. Each of these organizations has a mandate for such cooperation in the agreements under which they have been established. They also have signed agreements among themselves, for mutual cooperation and regular consultation, which identify mechanisms designed to foster greater coherence in global economic policy-making.
The desire of WTO member countries for greater coherence in global economic policy-making through closer cooperation between the WTO, World Bank and IMF is expressed in a number of Agreements, Ministerial Declarations and Decisions:
- Agreements between the WTO, IMF and World Bank General Council decision, November 1996
- Article III of the Agreement establishing the WTO from the Uruguay Round Final Act.
- Summary of the “Decision on achieving greater coherence in global economic policy-making” from the Uruguay Round Final Act.
- Declaration on the Contribution of the World Trade Organization to Achieving Greater Coherence in Global Economic Policymaking, from the Uruguay Round Final Act.
- Declaration on the Relationship of the World Trade Organization with the International Monetary Fund, from the Uruguay Round Final Act.
- Telecommunications Annex to the GATS
- Consult news release WTO-World Bank sign Cooperation Agreement”, April 1997
- Lamy's speaking Notes, World Bank Development Committee Meeting 15.04.2007
- WTO to press for additional aid-for-trade resources 18.09.2006
- Lamy: ‘political heavy lifting’ at home needed to revive talks 18.09.2006
- Lamy says progress in farm talks needed for the Round to gain steam 24.10.2005
- Lamy says trade is the missing piece of the development puzzle 29.09.2005
- Hong Kong Ministerial is last and best chance to conclude the Round by next year — Lamy 26.09.2005
Documents on Coherence
Note: The World Bank is also known as the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development