aid for trade
Aid-for-Trade Webinar "Supporting COVID-19 response and recovery"
WTO estimates that COVID-19 will depress global trade by between 13% and 32% in 2020. In its World Economic Outlook for 2020, the International Monetary Fund (IMF) projects that the global economy will contract by –3% this year, a larger contraction than during the 2008–09 financial crisis. The picture at regional level may be even more challenging with the IMF projecting falls of -5.2% in economic growth in Emerging and Developing Asia and Latin America and the Caribbean.
On 4 March this year, the IMF and World Bank Group (WBG) announced measures to cushion the impact of COVID-19 on global markets, and fiscal measures to address the supply and demand shock impacting developing economies. Since that time, the IMF and WBG have announced further support measures, as the magnitude of the economic challenge presented by the pandemic has become evident. Regional development banks are similarly active and are expanding the support on offer to their member countries. COVID-19 response is also an issue being considered by bilateral donors reporting to the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development's (OECD) Development Assistance Committee.
The purpose of this information webinar is to survey the latest research on the economic and trade impact of COVID-19 and to outline the measures being taken to support pandemic response and recovery. The event will be held in English. A summary report will be prepared in the three WTO working languages.
Introduction: Ambassador Mohammad Qurban Haqjo, Chair, Committee on Trade and Development (CTD)
- "The IMF’s Emergency Response to COVID-19", Brad McDonald, Deputy Chief, External Policy Division, Strategy, Policy and Review Department, International Monetary Fund
- "The view from Asia", Matthias Helble, Economist, Economic Research and Regional Cooperation Department, Asian Development Bank
- "The WBG’s Operational Response to COVID-19", Pierre Sauvé, Senior Trade Specialist, Macroeconomics, Trade and Investment Global Practice, World Bank Group
Q&A session; questions should be emailed to email@example.com
- "The view from Africa" - AfDB Group’s Response to COVID-19, Jean-Guy Afrika, Principal Trade Expert,African Development Bank
- "The view from the Americas", Monica Maday, Trade and Integration Consultant, Integration and Trade Sector, Inter-American Development Bank
- "OECD - Tracking coronavirus (COVID‑19) support", Frans Lammersen, Principal Administrator, Development Co-Operation Directorate, Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development
Q&A session: questions should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Wrap-up by Ambassador Mohammad Qurban Haqjo, Chair, CTD
Problems viewing this page? If so, please contact email@example.com giving details of the operating system and web browser you are using.