technical barriers to trade
WTO TBT Committee and regulatory measures: prevention, not litigation
Wednesday, 2 September 2020, 15:00-16:15 (Geneva time)
Virtual via Zoom - Watch the recording of the event here
The second event in the TBT@40 Dialogue Series will look at how Members use the TBT Committee to raise and discuss "Specific Trade Concerns" (STCs) with respect to each other's regulatory measures. This established practice is often considered a model to address (and even solve) trade friction without having to resort to costly, time-consuming WTO litigation. This event will allow speakers and discussants to assess how successful this practice has been, in which ways it could be improved and whether it could also be transposed to other WTO bodies.
- Inu Manak, Ph.D., Cato Institute, Washington DC
- Paul Mertenskötter, Covington, Brussels
- Jeff Weiss, Steptoe, Washington DC
- Elisa Maria Olmeda de Alejandro, Counsellor, Permanent Mission of Mexico to the WTO
- Xueyan Guo, Deputy Director-General, Department of International Cooperation, General Administration of Customs, China
Problems viewing this page? If so, please contact email@example.com giving details of the operating system and web browser you are using.