TECHNICAL BARRIERS TO TRADE
Thematic session on Conformity Assessment Procedures
Case studies of practical examples of how members arrive at the acceptance of conformity assessment results.
At the Eighth Triennial Review, Members agreed to continue to hold thematic sessions in conjunction with its regular meetings during 2019 to 2021, with a view to further deepening the Committee's exchange of experiences on specific topics, and to hold a session on conformity assessment procedures (CAP) in February 2020 with a focus on: Certificates of free sale; and, Case studies of practical examples of how Members arrive at the acceptance of conformity assessment results.
Moderator: Mr. Anatoly Chaplin (Russian Federation)
- South Africa: Certificates of Free Sale - An overview and challenges faced by Regulators and Exporters, Mr. Kissinger Ntsako Nkuna, Department of Trade and Industry.
- United States: Impacts of leveraging international accreditation infrastructure in testing of children's products, Mr. Warren Merkel, Director, Standards Services Division, National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST).
- Brazil: Acceptance of conformity assessment results: examples for consumer products regulated by Brazil's National Institute of Metrology Standardization and Industrial Quality (Inmetro), Mr. Marcos André Borges, Inmetro.
- European Union: Examples of the acceptance of self-declaration of conformity in the European Union in the fields of machinery, electrical and radio equipment, Mr. Nikos Michailidis, Legal and Policy Expert, Engineering Industries, Directorate-General for Internal Market, Industry, Entrepreneurship and SMEs (GROW), European Commission.
- United States: Conformity assessment program for medical devices: The Medical Device Single Audit Program (MDSAP), Ms. Melissa Torres, Associate Director for International Affairs, Office of the Center Director, Center for Devices and Radiological Health, United States Food and Drug Administration.
- International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC): Case studies on countries using and benefiting from the IEC global conformity assessment services, David Hanlon, IEC Conformity Assessment Board (CAB) Secretary.