The colloquium has a strong specialist focus on intellectual property law and policy, and assumes that participants have an advanced awareness of this field. Even so, it is multidisciplinary, open to lawyers, economists, and other university teachers and researchers working in the field.
Latest news back to top
- 2015: Invitation to apply to participate in the 2015 WIPO-WTO colloquium, with online application form. Interested candidates must apply by 30 March 2015.
What are the practical arrangements? back to top
The working language is English. Twenty-two places are available for applicants from developing countries and countries with economies in transition. The organizers cover their travel, accommodation and subsistence costs. An additional five places are available for applicants from developed countries, but they participate at their own expense.
How do I apply? back to top
To be eligible for consideration, an applicant for the 22 funded places must currently work as a university teacher in intellectual property in a developing country or in a country with an economy in transition, and have at least five years’ teaching experience. In addition,
- an ongoing role in policy analysis or advice with respect to WIPO or WTO discussions or negotiations is desirable
- an established track record in research and publication in the field of intellectual property is also desirable
- applicants must have an advanced degree and teaching experience in intellectual property law or international law/economics/management with a specialization in intellectual property
- applicants must have an excellent knowledge of English
The same criteria apply for applicants for the self-funded places allocated for developed country participants.
Applicants should identify a specific topical intellectual property policy or legal issue that is currently under active debate or review in the applicant’s country or region, on which he/she would be ready to make a short presentation and prepare a paper for subsequent publication. A one-page summary of this presentation must accompany the application form.
Selection of candidates back to top
The selection will be made by the organizers, taking into consideration the need for regional and gender balance. Participants in previous colloquia may not apply within five years of their earlier participation, and where two applicants are equally ranked, preference will be given to applicants who have not previously taken part. Selected applicants will be directly notified by the organizers.