1. Report by the Chairman of the Trade Negotiations Committee
The Director-General referred to his report at the 30 September HODs meeting where a discussion on Members’ negotiating work took place and 32 delegations intervened. His full statement at that meeting can found in JOB/GC/105. He also reiterated his call to Members to deepen and widen their conversations in the coming days. 4 delegations intervened.
2. Implementation of the Bali and Nairobi Outcomes — Statement by the Chairman
The Chairman reported on the work taking place in WTO regular bodies to fulfil the Bali and Nairobi Ministerial mandates. His full statement can be found in JOB/GC/106. The Director-General encouraged Members to respond to the Aid for Trade monitoring and evaluation exercise before 31 October. Benin (LDCs) intervened.
3. Work Programme on Small Economies — Report by the Chairman of the Dedicated Session of the Committee on Trade and Development$
The CTD Chairperson reported that the CTD-DS was preparing for its next Dedicated Session to be held on 4 November. Their discussion will focus on "Information Technology" and "Business Process Outsourcing". In fulfilling its Nairobi mandate, preliminary work had begun with the CTD-DS set to further advance its work in November. Guatemala (SVEs) intervened.
4. Eleventh Session of the Ministerial Conference — Date and Venue — Statement by the Chairman
The General Council formally agreed that the Eleventh Session of the Ministerial Conference will be hosted by Argentina, in Buenos Aires. The Director-General and Argentina spoke.
5. Appointment of Officers to WTO Bodies - Negotiating Group on Market Access, Council for Trade in Services Special Session and Preparatory Committee on Trade Facilitation - Statement by the Chairman$
The Chairman announced that there was consensus on the appointments of Ambassador Chambovey (Switzerland) as Chairperson of the Negotiating Group on Market Access, Ambassador Cima (Argentina) as Chairperson of the CTS-SS and Ambassador MD Salleh (Malaysia) as Chairperson of the Preparatory Committee on Trade Facilitation. Barbados (Latin America and the Caribbean) and Sri Lanka (Asia and the Pacific) spoke.
6. Committee on Budget, Finance and Administration — Report on meeting of 16 September 2016
The General Council adopted the Report of the Budget Committee in WT/BFA/156 and approved the specific recommendations in paragraphs 4.2, 5.2 and 8.2 of the report.
7. WTO Pension Plan — Election of the Chairperson of the Management Board
The Chairman reported on the ongoing consultations on the election of the Chairperson of the WTOPP Management Board.
Under "Other Business", the Philippines made a statement on the MSMEs session at the 15th WTO Public Forum. Australia invited Members to a workshop on the 2030 Agenda hosted by MIKTA (Mexico, Indonesia, Korea, Turkey and Australia) to be held at the WTO on 12 October. The Chairman made a statement on the process for the appointment of the Director-General, and on the Members and Observers in arrears. He also announced that consensus was reached in appointing Ambassador Vanerio (Uruguay) to serve as the Chairman of the Working Party on the Accession of Algeria to the WTO. Uruguay and Algeria (as an Observer) spoke.