The role of advanced technologies in cross-border trade: A customs perspective
Advanced technologies have the potential to improve the efficiency of customs processes and to ease the flow of goods across borders. Using the results of a 2021 survey, this publication sheds light on the opportunities and challenges customs authorities face when deploying technologies such as blockchain, the internet of things, big data, data analytics, artificial intelligence and machine learning.
Co-published by the WTO and the World Customs Organization (WCO) in 2022.
Download by chapter
- Key findings
- Chapter 1: Securing cross-border trade through advanced technologies
- Chapter 2: Blockchain and distributed ledger technology
- Chapter 3: Internet of things
- Chapter 4: Big data, data analytics, artificial intelligence and machine learning
- Chapter 5: Impact and ease of adoption of advanced technologies
- Chapter 6: Conclusion
- Annex: Survey questions posed to WCO members in 2021