Symposium on the Agriculture Policy Landscape
This symposium has been organized jointly by the Agriculture and Commodities Division and the Institute for Training and Technical Cooperation of the WTO. It is open to stakeholders from all WTO Members.
The symposium will provide an opportunity to hear from experts in agriculture policy and trade from both developed and developing countries on the trends and future expectations of the global food and agriculture economy, and the implications for farmers and agribusiness. Discussions will also highlight contemporary issues of importance to developing countries. Speakers include experts from academia, think-tanks and international organizations.
Wednesday 13 June 2018
10:30 — Opening remarks
Deputy Director-General, Alan Wolff
10:45-13:00 — Session 1
Economic significance of agricultural trade – now and in the future
- Martin Piñeiro, Director, Committee on Agriculture, Argentine Council for Foreign Relations (CARI) and member of the GPS Network
- Kofi Nouve, Program Leader Nigeria, Sustainable Development Practice Group, World Bank
- Dr Jing Zhu, Professor and Dean, College of Economics and Management, Nanjing Agricultural University, China
- Santiago Bertoni, President of the Paraguayan Institute of Agriculture Technology
- Aisha Moriani, Joint Secretary Foreign Trade, Ministry of Commerce, Pakistan.
16:00-18:00 — Session 2
Evolving trading patterns in agriculture products
- Joe Glauber, Senior Research Fellow, International Food Policy Research Institute
- Miriam Omolo, Director of programmes at the African Policy Research Institute (APRI)
- Alessandro Nicita, UNCTAD
- Peter Gooday, Assistant Secretary and Chief Commodity Analyst, Australian Bureau of Agriculture and Resource Economics and Sciences
Thursday 14 June, 2018
10:00-13:00 — Session 3
Products, prices, and market participation
Agricultural Development through ICT Application: China’s Case
- Qu Dongyu, Vice Minister for Agriculture, Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs, P.R. China.
- George Rapsomanikis, Food and Agriculture Organization
- Marion Jansen, Chief Economist, International Trade Centre
- Terry Townsend, Chair of the Discover Natural Fibres Initiative
- Matthias Knappe, Programme Manager, Fibres, Textiles and Clothing Sector and Enterprise Competitiveness, Division of Enterprises and Institutions, ITC
15:00-18:00 — Session 4
Agricultural trade policy landscape
- Carmel Cahill, Deputy Director, Trade and Agriculture Directorate, OECD
- Lars Brink, Independent Advisor
- Siraj Hussain, Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations
- Martha Byanyima, Comesa
- Flavio Coturni, Head of the Policy Perspectives Unit, Directorate General for Agriculture and Rural Development, European Commission
- Jason Hafemeister, Trade Counsel to the Secretary at the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)
- Prof. Abhijit Das, Head of Centre for WTO Studies, Indian Institute of Foreign Trade
- Doug Forsyth, DG Trade Agreements and Negotiations Directorate at Agriculture and Agri-food
Wrap up and Closing remarks – Director of the Agriculture and Commodities Division, Edwini Kessie
Problems viewing this page? If so, please contact [email protected] giving details of the operating system and web browser you are using.