Dispute Settlement Body
The General Council convenes as the Dispute Settlement Body (DSB) to deal with disputes between WTO members. Such disputes may arise with respect to any agreement contained in the Final Act of the Uruguay Round that is subject to the Understanding on Rules and Procedures Governing the Settlement of Disputes (DSU). The DSB has authority to establish dispute settlement panels, refer matters to arbitration, adopt panel, Appellate Body and arbitration reports, maintain surveillance over the implementation of recommendations and rulings contained in such reports, and authorize suspension of concessions in the event of non-compliance with those recommendations and rulings.
The DSB is made up of all member governments, usually represented by ambassadors or equivalent. The current chair is .
Reflections from outgoing Chairs on DSB developments:
- Sunanta Kangvalkulkij, reflections on 2018
- Junichi Ihara, reflections on 2017
- Xavier Carim, reflections on 2016
- Ronald SaborÝo Soto, reflections on 2015
- Fernando de Mateo, reflections on 2014
- Jonathan Fried, reflections on 2013
- Shahid Bashir, reflections on 2012
- Elin ěsteb° Johansen, reflections on 2011
- Yonov Frederick Agah, reflections on 2010