- PART I General Provisions and Basic Principles
- PART II Standards Concerning the Availability, Scope and Use of Intellectual Property Rights
- 1. Copyright and Related Rights
- 2. Trademarks
- 3. Geographical Indications
- 4. Industrial Designs
- 5. Patents
- 6. Layout-Designs (Topographies) of Integrated Circuits
- 7. Protection of Undisclosed Information
- 8. Control of Anti-Competitive Practices in Contractual Licences
- PART III Enforcement of Intellectual Property Rights
- 1. General Obligations
- 2. Civil and Administrative Procedures and Remedies
- 3. Provisional Measures
- 4. Special Requirements Related to Border Measures
- 5. Criminal Procedures
- PART IV Acquisition and Maintenance of Intellectual Property Rights and Related Inter-Partes Procedures
- PART V Dispute Prevention and Settlement
- PART VI Transitional Arrangements
- PART VII Institutional Arrangements; Final Provisions
- Annex and Appendix to the TRIPS Agreement
1. Subject to the provisions of paragraphs 2, 3 and 4, no Member shall be obliged to apply the provisions of this Agreement before the expiry of a general period of one year following the date of entry into force of the WTO Agreement.
2. A developing country Member is entitled to delay for a further period of four years the date of application, as defined in paragraph 1, of the provisions of this Agreement other than Articles 3, 4 and 5.
3. Any other Member which is in the process of transformation from a centrally-planned into a market, free-enterprise economy and which is undertaking structural reform of its intellectual property system and facing special problems in the preparation and implementation of intellectual property laws and regulations, may also benefit from a period of delay as foreseen in paragraph 2.
4. To the extent that a developing country Member is obliged by this Agreement to extend product patent protection to areas of technology not so protectable in its territory on the general date of application of this Agreement for that Member, as defined in paragraph 2, it may delay the application of the provisions on product patents of Section 5 of Part II to such areas of technology for an additional period of five years.
5. A Member availing itself of a transitional period under paragraphs 1, 2, 3 or 4 shall ensure that any changes in its laws, regulations and practice made during that period do not result in a lesser degree of consistency with the provisions of this Agreement.
Least-Developed Country Members
1. In view of the special needs and requirements of least-developed country Members, their economic, financial and administrative constraints, and their need for flexibility to create a viable technological base, such Members shall not be required to apply the provisions of this Agreement, other than Articles 3, 4 and 5, for a period of 10 years from the date of application as defined under paragraph 1 of Article 65. The Council for TRIPS shall, upon duly motivated request by a least-developed country Member, accord extensions of this period.
2. Developed country Members shall provide incentives to enterprises and institutions in their territories for the purpose of promoting and encouraging technology transfer to least-developed country Members in order to enable them to create a sound and viable technological base.
In order to facilitate the implementation of this Agreement, developed country Members shall provide, on request and on mutually agreed terms and conditions, technical and financial cooperation in favour of developing and least-developed country Members. Such cooperation shall include assistance in the preparation of laws and regulations on the protection and enforcement of intellectual property rights as well as on the prevention of their abuse, and shall include support regarding the establishment or reinforcement of domestic offices and agencies relevant to these matters, including the training of personnel.
The texts reproduced in this section do not have the legal standing of the original documents which are entrusted and kept at the WTO Secretariat in Geneva.