WTO CHAIRS PROGRAMME
The WTO Chairs Programme was launched in 2010. Under this capacity building programme, partner institutions have received financial and technical support from the WTO for trade-related research, curriculum development and outreach activities. In the first two phases of programme, the WTO has provided financial support to 19 institutions in developing countries in the form of yearly grants of up to CHF 50,000 per chair for a maximum of four years. For the third phase, the financial allocations to selected chairs will depend on the number of participating chairs and on the funds available.
The application form for academic institutions is available here. Applications from least-developed countries and regions currently lacking representation in the programme are particularly encouraged.
The Chairs Programme provides dedicated support to beneficiary institutions in priority areas related to trade policy, international trade, international relations and international economic law.
Chair-holders will be chosen through a competitive selection process organized by the WTO Secretariat and the programme's Advisory Board. The criteria to be used include:
- potential for developing capacities at the host institution
- relevance of research topics in relation to trade policy and WTO-related issues
- quality of research proposals
- expected results with respect to the offering of new and updated courses
- potential for interaction with policy-making institutions (such as government departments)
- expected results with respect to networking with other academic institutions
- strategy for future human and financial sustainability
- potential for maintaining a team of critical mass in the host institution to collaborate in chair-holder activities.
More information is available here.