MINISTERIAL CONFERENCE: NINTH SESSION, BALI, 3-6 DECEMBER 2013
Ministerial Decision of 7 December 2013
The Ministerial Conference,
Having regard to paragraph1 of Article IX of the Marrakesh Agreement Establishing the World Trade Organization;
Decides as follows:
1. Members agree to put in place an interim mechanism as set out below, and to negotiate on an agreement for a permanent solution1 , for the issue of public stockholding for food security purposes for adoption by the 11th Ministerial Conference.
2. In the interim, until a permanent solution is found, and provided that the conditions set out below are met, Members shall refrain from challenging through the WTO Dispute Settlement Mechanism, compliance of a developing Member with its obligations under Articles 6.3 and 7.2 (b) of the Agreement on Agriculture (AoA) in relation to support provided for traditional staple food crops2 in pursuance of public stockholding programmes for food security purposes existing as of the date of this Decision, that are consistent with the criteria of paragraph 3, footnote 5, and footnote 5&6 of Annex 2 to the AoA when the developing Member complies with the terms of this Decision.3
Notification and transparency
3. A developing Member benefiting from this Decision must:
4. Any developing Member seeking coverage of programmes under paragraph 2 shall ensure that stocks procured under such programmes do not distort trade or adversely affect the food security of other Members.
5. This Decision shall not be used in a manner that results in an increase of the support subject to the Member’s Bound Total AMS or the de minimis limits provided under programmes other than those notified under paragraph 3.a.
6. A developing Member benefiting from this Decision shall upon request hold consultations with other Members on the operation of its public stockholding programmes notified under paragraph 3.a.
7. The Committee on Agriculture shall monitor the information submitted under this Decision.
8. Members agree to establish a work programme to be undertaken in the Committee on Agriculture to pursue this issue with the aim of making recommendations for a permanent solution. This work programme shall take into account Members’ existing and future submissions.
9. In the context of the broader post-Bali agenda, Members commit to the work programme mentioned in the previous paragraph with the aim of concluding it no later than the 11th Ministerial Conference.
10. The General Council shall report to the 10th Ministerial Conference for an evaluation of the operation of this Decision, particularly on the progress made on the work programme.
Statistical Appendix (per crop) (data for the latest three years)
1. The permanent solution will be applicable to all developing Members. back to text
2. This term refers to primary agricultural products that are predominant staples in the traditional diet of a developing Member. back to text
3. This Decision does not preclude developing Members from introducing programmes of public stockholding for food security purposes in accordance with the relevant provisions of the Agreement on Agriculture. back to text