THE WTO: OIO
Office of Internal Oversight
The Office of Internal Oversight (OIO) was established on 30 November 2015 to provide for a professional, independent, objective and documented assessment, through all appropriate means, of management practices, expenses, budgetary control and allegations of misconduct in all its forms at the WTO.
The OIO is responsible for conducting internal audits, investigations and any other assessment deemed necessary to strengthen accountability, internal controls, compliance, value for money and governance in the WTO Secretariat.
- Internal audit is an independent, objective assurance and consulting activity designed to add value and improve an organization’s operations. It helps an organization to accomplish its objectives by bringing a systematic, disciplined approach to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of risk management, control and governance processes.
- Investigation is a formal fact-finding administrative inquiry. The purpose of an investigation is to examine and determine the veracity of allegations of misconduct and to report thereon to the Director-General. Misconduct is a failure by a staff member to observe the rules of conduct or the standards of behavior prescribed by the WTO (i.e. regulations, rules, administrative memoranda, etc.).
- Inspection is a review conducted on an ad hoc basis whenever there is a strong indication that a wasteful use of resources or poor management of performance has occurred. The review provides a diagnosis of the issues concerned and proposes remedial measures.
- Evaluation is a systematic, objective and impartial assessment focused on whether expected accomplishments and results have been achieved. It aims at determining the relevance, impact, effectiveness, efficiency and sustainability of objectives, programmes and activities.
The OIO is an operationally independent office inside the WTO Secretariat. The Head of the OIO and other OIO staff are functionally and operationally independent from the Secretariat and from WTO members in the conduct of their duties.
- Office of Internal Oversight : Role
- The Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA)
- WTO's External Auditor (Cour des Comptes Franšaise)
- Uniform Guidelines for Investigations
OIO reports to the WTO Committee on Budget, Finance and Administration (CBFA)
How to contact us
+41 (0)22 739 5077
WTO - Office 3138
Rue de Lausanne 154,
1211 Geneva 2 - Switzerland