TRTA: TRADE-RELATED TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE
ITTC has developed a range of technical assistance “products” to help participants improve their understanding of WTO-related matters. These products form part of the ITTC's Progressive Learning Strategy (PLS). Each activity has clearly identified objectives which make the outcomes measurable and evaluation more straightforward. Each product targets a different need and is based on different levels of knowledge of the participants. Prior to enrolling a participant on a specific course, ITTC carefully assesses the needs of the participants to maximise the potential benefits from the training.
> List of activities
The products are categorised on the basis of four key outcomes*:
- Key result (outcome) 1: Government officials are implementing WTO agreements and making full use of members' rights
- Key result (outcome) 2: Governments seeking to join the WTO are participating in accession negotiations, in line with WTO accession procedures
- Key result (outcome) 3:Members are accessing the most relevant WTO-related information to better enforce their rights and obligations
- Key result (outcome) 4: MPs, journalists and civil society are gaining a better understanding of the WTO; students or academic institutions supported by the WTO are addressing trade policy and WTO-related subjects.
The means of delivering technical assistance include e-learning, face-to-face training and learning by doing (internship programmes). The products geared towards basic learning require relatively lower levels of understanding of the WTO multilateral trading system, and are classified as Level 1 according to the PLS. Products that require increasingly specific and/or advanced knowledge and training are classified as Level 2 and Level 3. The two learning paths are “Generalists” and “ Specialists”.
The Enhanced Integrated Framework for trade-related assistance to LDCs and the Standards and Trade Development Facility, which are other programmes for the delivery of technical assistance, complement the WTO's technical assistance and training.
* Some activities may fall within any of the first three key results, depending on the subject covered.