Text of the 2006 General Council
Decision on the Transparency Mechanism for
Regional Trade Agreements
and figures back to top
As of 7 April 2015, some 612 notifications of RTAs (counting goods, services and accessions separately) had been received by the GATT/WTO. Of these, 426 notifications were made under Article XXIV of the GATT 1947 or GATT 1994; 39 under the Enabling Clause; and 147 under Article V of the GATS. Of these 612 RTAs, 406 were in force.
The overall number of RTAs in force has been increasingly steadily, a trend likely to be strengthened by the many RTAs currently under negotiations. Of these RTAs, Free Trade Agreements (FTAs) and partial scope agreements account for 90%, while customs unions account for 10%.
For up-to-date information on WTO figures on RTAs currently in force, please consult the summary tables contained in the RTA Database.
These WTO figures correspond to 449 physical RTAs (counting goods, services and accessions together), of which 262 are currently in force.
Interactive access to the most up-to-date Information on Regional
Trade Agreements notified to the GATT/WTO.
many regional trade agreements
have been notified to the GATT or the WTO?
- Maps of RTAs
> By country/territory
> By plurilateral RTA
> See also
Transparency Mechanism communications (early announcements of RTAs, notifications of changes, etc.)
regional trade agreements in the WTO, and official documents back to top
on this subject is handled by the Committee on Regional Trade
Agreements, which reports to the Goods Council.
WTOs Committee on Regional Trade Agreements
on regional trade agreements bear the document code WT/REG/*.
Under the Doha agenda’s trade negotiations mandate, they use
TN/RL/* (where * takes additional values).
These links open a new window: allow a moment for the results
> help with downloading these documents
reports of the Committee on Regional Trade Agreements
to the General Council (Document
code WT/REG/* and keyword “report”)
- Minutes of the meetings of the Committee on Regional Trade
documents of the Committee on Regional Trade
code “varies”) > search
> See also RTA negotiations documents
can perform more sophisticated searches from the Documents
Online search facility (opens in new window) by defining
multiple search criteria such as document symbol (i.e. code
number), full text search or document date.
Analysis and publications
back to top
- WTO Staff Working Paper: Trade Facilitation Provisions in Regional Trade Agreements — Traits and Trends
- WTO Staff Working Paper: Mapping of Safeguard Provisions in Regional Trade Agreements
- WTO Staff Working Paper: Mapping of Dispute Settlement Mechanisms in Regional Trade Agreements — Innovative or Variations on a Theme?
- WTO Staff Working Paper: Preferential rules of origin In regional trade agreements
- WTO Staff Working Paper: Antidumping regional regimes and the multilateral trading system: do regional antidumping regimes make a difference?
- WTO Staff Working Paper: Intellectual property provisions in regional trade agreements
- WTO Staff Working Paper: Market access provisions on trade in goods in regional trade agreements
- WTO Staff Working Paper: Services rules in regional trade agreements — How diverse and how creative as compared to the GATS multilateral rules?
- World Trade Report 2011: The WTO and preferential trade agreements: From co-existence to coherence
- Preferential Trade Agreement Policies for Development: A Handbook (The World Bank)
Regionalism: Challenges for the Global Trading System
- WTO Discussion Paper N° 12: The
Changing Landscape of Regional Trade Agreements — Update 2006
- WTO Discussion Paper N° 8: The
Changing Landscape of Regional Trade Agreements
- WTO Staff Working Paper: Services
liberalization in the new generation of Preferential Trade Agreements
How much further than the GATS?
Other Resources / Databases of interest back to top
back to top
Regional Trade Agreements Section
+41 (0)22 7396430
+41 (0)22 739 5774