WTO Analytical Index
Interpretation and application of WTO agreements
The WTO Analytical Index: Guide to WTO Law and Practice is an article-by-article guide to the interpretation and application of the WTO agreements by WTO bodies. It covers the reports of the WTO Appellate Body and panels, the decisions or awards of arbitrators as well as related decisions and other significant actions taken by other relevant WTO bodies.
This publication does not constitute an official or authoritative interpretation of the covered agreements, of the cited dispute settlement reports, awards and decisions, or of the legal significance of any of the other decisions, recommendations and other documents cited in this publication.
The latest edition of the WTO Analytical Index is available as an electronic-only publication so that the contents can be readily updated on an on-going basis to reflect new reports/decisions/awards generated through the WTO dispute settlement mechanism and the significant number of decisions and actions taken by other relevant WTO bodies.
The Index is split into files on an article-by-article basis, covering:
- “DS reports”, i.e. relevant WTO Appellate Body reports, panel reports, and arbitral awards and decisions; and
- “practice”, e.g. information relating to the background and application of provisions, including relevant decisions and other significant activities of WTO Committees, Councils and other relevant WTO bodies.
Each file has a “current as of” date, indicating when the content of that file was last reviewed and, as necessary, revised and updated to reflect new developments.
The WTO Analytical Index was previously made available as a printed publication, with updates provided in the form of electronic-only supplements. The new electronic-only edition provided below updates and replaces these previous versions.
- Marrakesh Agreement Establishing the WTO
- Annex 1A: Multilateral Agreements on Trade in Goods
- General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT) 1994
- Sanitary and Phytosanitary Measures
- Textiles and Clothing (terminated)
- Technical Barriers to Trade
- Trade-Related Investment Measures
- Anti-Dumping Agreement (Implementation of Article VI of the GATT)
- Customs Valuation Agreement (Implementation of Article VII of the GATT)
- Preshipment Inspection
- Rules of Origin
- Import Licensing Procedures
- Subsidies and Countervailing Measures
- Trade Facilitation
- Annex 1B: General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS)
- Annex 1C: Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (as amended by the 2005 Protocol Amending the TRIPS Agreement)
- Annex 2: Dispute Settlement Understanding
- Annex 3: Trade Policy Review Mechanism
- Annex 4: Plurilateral Trade Agreements