Aid for Trade at a Glance 2019:
Economic diversification and empowerment
Aid for Trade at a Glance 2019 analyses how trade can contribute to economic diversification and empowerment, with a focus on eliminating extreme poverty, particularly through the effective participation of women and youth. It looks at how Aid for Trade can contribute to those objectives by addressing supply-side capacity and trade-related infrastructure constraints, including for micro, small and medium-sized enterprises (MSMEs), notably in rural areas.
The analysis is based on the views of 133 respondents — 88 developing countries, 35 donors, five providers of South-South trade-related support and five regional organisations — who participated in the 2019 Aid for Trade monitoring and evaluation exercise. They share the view that empowerment is essential for economic diversification, particularly when it enables youth, women and MSMEs to engage in international trade.
Aid for Trade at a Glance is a co-publication of the WTO and OECD. It includes contributions from the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development, the United Nations Industrial Development Organization, the United Nations Development Programme, the International Trade Centre, the Enhanced Integrated Framework and the World Bank Group.
Country profiles provide data on disbursements of Aid for Trade by country and the impact of Aid for Trade in terms of trade costs, trade performance and development.
Table of contents
- Aid for Trade Facts and Figures
- Executive Summary
- Chapter 1: Setting the Scene — WTO
- Chapter 2: Aid for Trade, Economic Diversification and Empowerment — OECD
- Chapter 3: Promoting Economic Diversification and Structural Transformation through Industrialisation — OECD and UNCTAD
- Chapter 4: Aid for Trade in Challenging Contexts — UNDP and EIF
- Chapter 5: Economic Diversification: Lessons from Practice — World Bank
- Chapter 6: The Critical Role of Trade Facilitation in Supporting Ecomomic Diversification and Structural Reforms — WB, OECD and UNCTAD
- Chapter 7: Export Diversification at the Time of Slowbalisation — UNCTAD
- Chapter 8: Empowering Youth For Sustainable Trade — ITC
- Chapter 9: Emerging Lessons from Aid for Trade in Support of Women’s Economic Empowerment — OECD
- All country profiles
- Individual profiles by country