INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY:TECHNICAL COOPERATION — KEY DOCUMENTS
VII. Least-Developed Country Members
In recognition of the special needs and requirements of least developed countries (LDCs), their economic, financial and administrative constraints, as well as the flexibility needed to create a viable technological base, LDC Members have been accorded an extended transition period to implement the TRIPS Agreement. In parallel, the needs of LDCs for continuing technical and financial cooperation in order to realize the cultural, social, technological and other developmental objectives of the intellectual property system are also well recognized.
I. TRIPS Legal texts and the relevant Conventions
II. The Doha Development Agenda
III. TRIPS and Public Health
IV. Review of TRIPS Article 27.3(b); Relationship Between the TRIPS Agreement and the Convention on Biological Diversity; Protection of Traditional Knowledge and Folklore
V. Geographical Indications
VI. Dispute Settlement
VII. Least Developed Country Members
VIII. TRIPS and Trade Policy Reviews, Accessions and Regional Trade Agreements
IX. Other Issues: TRIPS and e-Commerce, and TRIPS and Climate
X. TRIPS Implementation: notifications and reviews
A needs assessment process has also been initiated in order to identify, communicate and meet the priority needs of LDCs for technical and financial cooperation to help them implement the TRIPS Agreement.
A mechanism has also been put in place for ensuring the monitoring and full implementation of the obligations for developed countries to provide incentives for the purpose of promoting and encouraging transfer of technology to LDCs.
1. Extension of Transition Period
- Extension of the Transition Period under Article 66.1 of the TRIPS Agreement for Least-Developed Country Members — Decision of the Council for TRIPS of 29 June 2021 (IP/C/88)
2. Needs Assessment
- The Aid-for-Trade Initiative and the Enhanced Integrated Framework (IP/C/W/544)
- Submissions received from least-developed country members on their individual priority needs for technical and financial cooperation under the Decision of 29 November 2005 — IP/C/W/499 and IP/C/W/523 (Sierre Leone); IP/C/W/500 and IP/C/W/510 (Uganda); IP/C/W/548 and IP/C/W/548/Add.1 (Rwanda); IP/C/W/546 (Bangladesh); IP/C/W/552 (Tanzania) and IP/C/W/555 (Senegal); IP/C/W/575 (Mali); IP/C/W/584 (Madagascar); and IP/C/W/597 (Togo).
- Implementation of Article 66.2 of the TRIPS Agreement — Decision of the Council for TRIPS of 19 February 2003 (IP/C/28)