International Export Regulations and Controls:
Navigating the global framework beyond WTO rules
International trade has a pivotal role to play in addressing multiple challenges facing the world, but the trading of certain products can entail risks, necessitating the need for measures such as export licences and restrictions in certain circumstances to manage these risks. This publication seeks to provide a better understanding of how particular international agreements and conventions operate in practice to regulate the export of high-risk and controlled goods and how these regulations co-exist with WTO rules.
The international agreements and conventions included in this publication have been formulated with the intention of protecting people and the environment, controlling drugs and harmful substances, and contributing to international peace and weapons controls. Produced in conjunction with the secretariats and implementing bodies of the relevant international agreements and conventions, the publication is intended to serve as a guide for policymakers, government officials, academia and members of the public with an interest in the areas covered.
Published in 2023.
Download by chapter
- Part 1: Environmental protection
- Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora
- Basel, Rotterdam and Stockholm Conventions
- OECD Decision of the Council on the Control of Transboundary Movements of Wastes Destined for Recovery
- Vienna Convention for the Protection of the Ozone Layer and Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer
- Part 2: Drugs control
- Part 3: Weapons and disarmament
- United Nations Security Council resolutions and export controls
- Convention on the Prohibition of the Development, Production, Stockpiling and Use of Chemical Weapons and their Destruction
- Arms Trade Treaty
- Australia Group
- Wassenaar Arrangement on Export Controls for Conventional Arms and Dual-Use Goods and Technologies
- Annex: WTO members and their current status with the selected international agreements and conventions