technical barriers to trade
Thematic Session on standards development in Codex
Hybrid 15/11/2022 - 15:00
WTO Members and stakeholders will discuss standards development in the Codex with a view to deepening their knowledge of Codex's standard-setting activities, including in relation to TBT-relevant standards. Members will also be sharing experiences and good practices on how to better participate in these discussions with a view to increasing participation, including by developing Members.
Preliminary Guiding Questions
- What are the main standard-setting activities undertaken at the Codex Commission that have relevance in the area of technical barriers to trade?
- What are the main challenges and opportunities for the participation of members in the standard-setting activities of the Codex?
- How can developing countries be supported further in order to increase their participation in Codex's standard-setting activities?
- What recent developments in the Codex Committee on Food Import and Export Inspection and Certification Systems (CCFICS) are relevant from a TBT perspective, including in the area of conformity assessment procedures?
- What recent developments in the Codex Committee on Food Labelling (CCFL) are relevant from a TBT perspective?
Rommel A. Betancourt
Dr. Douglas Balentine
Senior Science Advisor International Nutrition Policy at the United States Food and Drug Administration
Chairperson of Codex Committee on Food Labeling (CCFL, Canada)
Rodrigo Martins Vargas
Blanca Cristina Olarte
Ministry of Health, Colombia
Director Standards Development and International Trade, Kenya Bureau of Standards
André Luis de Sousa dos Santos
Brazilian National Institute of Metrology, Brazil
Agencia Chilena para la inocuidad, Chile
Malose Daniel Matlala
Deputy Director: Inter-Agency Liaison and Regulatory Nutrition
(National Codex Contact Point: South Africa)
Directorate: Food Control
Problems viewing this page? If so, please contact [email protected] giving details of the operating system and web browser you are using.