30 September 2016
20th anniversary of the WTO
In 2015, the WTO commemorated its 20th anniversary. During the year, a series of events were held, such as book launches, conferences, exhibitions and other specially organized activities, focusing on various aspects of the WTO's work over the past two decades.
20 Years of the WTO
Some of the key events over the past 20 years
Tenth Ministerial Conference
Tenth Ministerial Conference takes place in Nairobi, Kenya. “Nairobi Package” adopted
Kazakhstan becomes the WTO’s 162nd member.
Seychelles becomes the WTO’s 161st member.
Yemen becomes the WTO’s 160th member.
Agreement on Government Procurement
Revised WTO Agreement on Government Procurement enters into force.
Ninth Ministerial Conference
Ninth Ministerial Conference takes place in Bali, Indonesia. “Bali Package” adopted.
Roberto Azevêdo (Brazil) takes office as WTO Director-General.
Russia joins WTO
Russia becomes the WTO’s 156th member.
Eighth Ministerial Conference
Eighth Ministerial Conference takes place in Geneva
ldquo;Chairs Programme” launched to support developing country universities.
WTO disputes reach 400 mark.
Seventh Ministerial Conference
Seventh Ministerial Conference takes place in Geneva.
First WTO Open Day in Geneva
DG Pascal Lamy reappointed for second term of four years.
Global Review of Aid for Trade
First Global Review of Aid for Trade takes place in Geneva.
Viet Nam becomes the WTO’s 150st member
First WTO Public Forum takes place in Geneva.
Sixth Ministerial Conference
Sixth Ministerial Conference takes place in Hong Kong, China. Aid for Trade initiative is launched. Hong Kong Declaration is approved
Pascal Lamy (France) becomes WTO Director-General.
Fifth Ministerial Conference takes place in Cancún, Mexico
Supachai Panitchpakdi (Thailand) is elected WTO Director-General.
China joins WTO
China becomes the WTO’s 143rd member
Fourth Ministerial Conference
Fourth Ministerial Conference in Doha, Qatar. Doha Development Agenda is launched.
Negotiations begin on agriculture.
Negotiations begin on services.
Mike Moore (New Zealand) becomes WTO Director-General.
Third Ministerial Conference
Third Ministerial Conference takes place in Seattle, US.
Second Ministerial Conference
Second Ministerial Conference takes place in Geneva
Financial Services Agreement
70 WTO members reach a multilateral agreement to open their financial services sector.
First Ministerial Conference
First Ministerial Conference takes place in Singapore.
Renato Ruggiero (Italy) takes office as WTO Director-General.
The WTO is born on 1 January.
Marrakesh Agreement establishing the WTO is signed.
20th anniversary publications
- 20 Years of the WTO: A Retrospective
- The WTO at Twenty: Challenges and Achievements
- The Making of the TRIPS Agreement
- WTO Accessions and Trade Multilateralism
- The Role of Trade in Ending Poverty
- Aid for Trade at a Glance 2015: Reducing trade costs for inclusive, sustainable growth
- CITES and the WTO: Enhancing Cooperation for Sustainable Development
- A History of Law and Lawyers in the GATT/WTO
- The WTO Building
- WTO Annual Report 2015
20th anniversary brochures
- Trade in Services : The most dynamic segment of international trade
- Training and Technical Assistance : Improving understanding of the WTO trading system
- Technical Barriers to Trade: Reducing trade friction from standards and regulations
- TRIPS Agreement: Changing the face of IP trade and policy-making
- Accessions: Expanding world trade and strengthening WTO rules
- Government Procurement Agreement: Opening markets and promoting good governance
- Sanitary and phytosanitary measures: Ensuring safe trading without unnecessary restrictions
- WTO Dispute Settlement: Resolving trade disputes between WTO members
- Trade Facilitation Agreement: Easing the flow of goods across borders
- Trade and Environment:Building pathways to sustainable development
- Trade and Tariffs: Trade grows as tariffs decline